What is a Hacksaw?
A hacksaw is a tool that comes with sharp teeth. It can cut almost anything mostly hard substances. It is available in different sizes and designs which makes it ideal for different purposes. The hacksaw is manually powered and serves great for cutting different metals including steel, brass, aluminum, iron, and copper.
It is equipped with a single handle. There are exceptions for some models that have two handles to offer better comfort. It features a straight and wide blade that is under stress in a C. An adjustable design features a U-shaped steel bow frame. There are also hacksaws with an adjustable frame.
What Are The Applications Of Hacksaw?
Hacksaws can cut different types of materials. The handy cutting tool lets you use it for the following purposes.
- Cutting metals like rods, pipes, and bars into the desired length.
- Suitable for cutting woods and plastics.
- Ideal for cutting thin materials. The blade of the saw can be damaged while cutting thick materials.
- Perfect for sawing and cutting.
- Usually used by professionals such as electricians and plumbers for cutting conduits and pipes.
- Hacksaws are suitable for industrial purposes as well as household works.
What Are The Different Kinds Of Hacksaws?
Here are the different types of hacksaws that you should be aware of.
Power Hacksaw: A power hacksaw is a machine equipped and is generally powered by an electric motor. In some cases, it is also connected to a stationary engine. It is perfect for larger tasks. These types of hacksaws are easy to handle and let you save time and effort. It helps to create a precise cut. A power hacksaw is now not so common in metalworking industries.
Sawing Machine: Next comes the sawing machine which is perfect for cutting material bars into appropriate sizes and lengths. A sawing machine is also easy to use and helps in quick performance. It is classified into a circular saw, band saw, and reciprocating saw.
Automatic Cut-off Saw: With an automatic cut-off saw, you can cut workpieces into different sizes. It features a memory control that stores different programs. One of the best things about these is that you can control them by touching keys. These types of saws are basically used for heavy work.
Junior Hacksaw: Also called a mini hacksaw, these are perfect for metalwork and woodwork classes. It is perfect for DIY purposes and can be used for different purposes. However, these types of hacksaws come with a restricted blade.
Handheld Hacksaw: Suitable for small jobs, a handheld hacksaw features a metal arch and a pistol grip handle. The teeth can be inwards or outwards and can be used in push or pull forms.
Panel Hacksaw: In a panel hacksaw, you will find a deep thin sheet frame. This makes it ideal for cutting panels of sheet metals without any restriction by the frame.
What Are The Different Types of Saw Blades Used?
The following are the different types of saw blades you should be aware of.
- Flexible Blade: As the name describes, the blade is very flexible as only the teeth will be reinforced. It is perfect for cutting thin sheets of metals as well as plastic tubes and pipes.
- Medium Grade Blade: A medium grade hacksaw blade comes with 20 to 24 teeth / inch of the blade. You can use it for cutting metals like cast iron, aluminum, brass, and high carbon steel.
- Fine Grade Blade: Similar to the flexible blade, a fine grade hacksaw blade is also used for cutting thin sheets of metals. They usually come with 24 to 30 teeth per inch of the blade.
- Superfine Grade Blade: The superfine grade hacksaw blade has 30 to 32 teeth per inch of a blade. You can use it for cutting not only thin sheets but also solid metals
- Course Grade Blade: Equipped with 14 to 18 teeth. Course grade hacksaw blades are ideal for different purposes. It can be great for cutting metals like mild steel, copper, aluminum, and brass.
Additionally, hacksaw blades are also classified as Regular, Wavy, and Raker.
- Regular: In a regular blade, the teeth are set in such a way that they will touch each other. They are suitable for cutting soft materials.
- Wavy: A wavy blade comes with teeth placed from left to right. It can be perfect for cutting hard and thin metals in a wavy pattern.
- Raker: A raker blade is suitable for cutting thick materials. In this, the teeth are in three sets.
What Is The Frame Type for Hack Saw?
You will find hacksaws that have both adjustable as well as fixed frames. In an adjustable frame, the length of the blade can be 10 to 12 inches. However, in a fixed frame, there is only a single blade length. There are also handles that can accommodate blades of different sizes. These types of frames feature a hole that makes them move left, right, up, and down.
What Are The Different Materials Can Hacksaw Cut?
A hacksaw lets you use it for cutting different materials. This makes it perfect for professionals like plumbers, handymen, and electricians. The versatile tool will meet all your sawing needs and you can power it either manually or with electricity. They are typically used for cutting materials that are harder and stronger than wood. Here are the materials that a hacksaw can cut.
- Wood: You can use a hacksaw as a handsaw. This makes it perfect for cutting wood. Even though you can use your hacksaw for cutting wood, you will not be able to use your handsaw for cutting other materials.
- Plastic: Another popular material that a hacksaw can cut is plastic. By utilizing the right type of blade, you can easily cut through hard plastic.
- Metal: One of the biggest advantages of a hacksaw is that you can use it for cutting metals. Whether it is steel, copper, or brass, you can use it for cutting metal pipe rods.
- Tubing: Whether it is electrical, metal, or plastic tubing, your hacksaw can cut it.
What Are The Safety Measures For Using Hacksaw?
It is important to maintain better safety while using a hacksaw. You will have to make sure that the teeth are pointed away from the handle. The adjuster on the frame or handle must be turned so that it will slack into the spigots. Once you do it, you can tighten the adjuster. When it comes to using a hacksaw with safety, always use gloves for hand protection and eye protection gear.
If we have to discuss the cutting task, you will have to choose the material carefully by reversing the blade to cut. Do it nicely by pushing and pulling the stroke. Make sure you do it carefully and slowly. While cutting metals, there can be tremendous heat and the likelihood of damaging your blade can be high. For this reason, it is important to use oil on the blade which helps to reduce friction and keeps the temperature down.
We have discussed what a hacksaw can perform. What is more important is that you use it safely. Always clean the blade properly and use light oil that helps prevent overheating and damage. Make sure you use it for cutting the right type of material. After you are done using the blade, you will have to secure it carefully by keeping the teeth pointing forward. Also, the frame of the saw and the blade must be properly aligned. Again, you will have to choose the right type of blade for cutting the appropriate material.